Wednesday, September 09, 2009

The Birth Story

Bridget Elise Murphy


09/04/09


8 lbs 7 oz. 21 inches




The adventure actually began seven years ago when we found out we were pregnant with Abigail, the illogical reasoning began in high school. The illogical reasoning is this: sometimes I choose to do something just to see if I can. I gave up red meat when I was 16 not because of the poor injustice to animals or because I think it's bad for you. I just wanted to see if I could. I have now spent more than half my life not eating red meat. About the same time I gave up pork (mostly because I'm not a huge fan of pork chops and other cuts of pig. Your parents will make you eat it if you don't like it, but if you no longer eat pork, well....I again proved to myself that I could do something, just because). So, when I weighed my labor pain management options, the top of the list was to go unmedicated....just to see if I could. With Abigail it was after 15 hours of labor and 8 cm that I got an epidural (it may seem last minute, but she stalled at 8 for about 4 hours). With Autumn, I went for a midwife because certainly I would get the support I needed to achieve my goal....not so much. During transition she insisted I "had to really want it." Listen lady, no one really WANTS it during transition, this is the point you say "you can do it, you're almost there"...even if it's a big fat lie. 30 minutes after the epidural I was ready to push. All of that to get to present day.

Babigyrl Murphy was due August 23rd. After an intensive grad program and being on my feet for long shifts, I thought for certain she would come early. My others were "overdue", but I felt like I was tempting fate having a due date so close to graduation. Clearly I had nothing to worry about.


The Belly- 41 weeks (5 days before delivery)





At ten days after my due date, my midwife and I discussed "the plan" to get this baby out into the world. Thank goodness the word induction was enough to scare our little lady out. I had already prepared for an induction, feeling disappointed and relieved, when I went to bed Thursday night. Around 3:30 AM I got up to go to the bathroom (again) when I heard a POP! Having never had my water break until delivery was emminent, I was not quite sure what to do. My first reaction was clinical, time, color, amount... I was hoping for a trickle, as some women describe, but I was not so lucky. Seriously, talk about messy. We don't get to choose, but I much prefer not having my water break. I am also very thankful that I was not in bed or some other fabric covered surface when it occured. Gross.

After a brief pondering, I decided to wake Brian up to get the in-laws over to the house. This at least gave me piece of mind that we could leave at a moment's notice if labor was faster than I expected. Called my midwife at 5 AM to give her the FYI. She was giddy. Contractions were minimal, so I decided to lay down for a bit. BIG MISTAKE. That brought on a huge contraction. At 6:30, it was time to call the midwife and get to the other side of town before things got unmanageable. I was 7 cm and still felt pretty good. It was all back labor again, but for some reason I was able to relax, open my eyes, and converse in-between contractions (in sharp contrast to my other two labors).

Brian was amazing during labor. He got all caught up in my midwife's excitement for each contraction. He began to welcome them, instead of fear them. He was the perfect counter-pressure masseuse during the intense contractions. Once we were at the hospital, it was time to use the birthing ball to encourage descent. It was quite comfortable, almost too comfortable. I actually had an 8 minutes reprieve and began to wonder if it was slowing things down when I had one of two incredibly memorable contractions. Hurt so bad I was asking for an emesis basin(yes, even in all the pain, I was still formal...no puke bucket for me.) That was the sign my midwife needed to get the jacuzzi tub going.

Me Just After One Serious Contraction



Still Managing to Get Comfort in the Breaks


Can I just say I am IN LOVE with the jetted tub. I know some may find it over-stimulating, but it felt amazing. I'm sure the contractions were still there, but I only felt the peaks. I wasn't able to fall asleep in between, but it was so comfortable. It was also nice not to be hooked up to IV fluids that would eventually make me look all puffy and bloated. No constant heart rate monitors and other cords that would keep me from moving into a comfortable position.


Brian's poor fingers really took a pinching. It may not seem like a lot, but I got great comfort just knowing they were always there for me to grab onto. Despite the pain, I was amazed at how warm the water stayed. At home it always cools off too quickly. Turns out they had to add ice water to cool the bath back down because a laboring woman generates so much heat that I was actually raising the water temperature! Insane. Memorable contraction number two had me wanting to puke again. This is when I overheard my midwife tell my husband, "We're having a baby!"


It was out of the tub and time to deliver. Let me just say it was the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced. Words really can't describe it. Then I hear "the baby is crowning." What, what, what? That's all. At that point I thought her head was halfway out! Only crowning!! Well, if she's crowning then just pull her out, why don't you? After an eternity (more like five minutes), she was finally with us in this world. I looked down at the baby on my chest and saw the head full of black hair and wondered, "who's baby is this?" I know it just came out of me, but my others looked so much alike, a light dusting of copper hair, blue eyes, pale skin.... But Bridget was beautiful and together (with a team great supporters) we accomplished my totally illogical goal for a completely unmedicated birth.

Bridget Elise

If any of you had the opportunity to talk to me this day, I apologize for the less than enthusiastic conversation. I was beyond exhausted. It took all the energy I could muster just to keep breathing. I'm sure I seemed rude, but I really was happy to talk to you. I really was thrilled and happy to meet my new Baby Bridget, but I had nothing left to express myself.


This Picture Perfectly Captures My Exhaustion




My Amazing Midwife
Bridget was born on her sister's birthday and we were honored.


Mommy and Baby All Cleaned Up



Autumn is Officially a Big Sister



Proud Papa, My Amazing Husband



Abigail Meeting Bridget



Tickle Toes


Daddy's Three Princess


Now the question is, had I known then, what I know now, would I go au'naturale again? Maybe. I'm glad I did it. I feel empowered and know that I can do anything I set my mind, too. But I have a new appreciation for the pain relief I received with my epidurals.

Welcome to the world and your family, Bridget Elise.

No comments: