Saturday, August 09, 2008

Really, I'm Flattered

My friend and I went out last night to enjoy Fridays After Five and grab a bite to eat at a local bar. The weather was perfect; a little breezy, but not chilly. The beer was cool and refreshing. The conversation, enjoyable per usual. We had just been served our drinks on the outside patio when a fellow restaurant patron asks us if we know where the garbage is. I do a quick sweep and point out the garbage on the other side of the patio. He walks away.

Friend: That guy was hitting on us.
Me: ?? No he wasn't. (It's not just the new blonde hair, I've always been that clueless)
Friend: He should just give his trash to the waiter.
Me: You're right, plus his table is literally right next to the garbage can. Whatever

5 minutes later.
waitress: These drinks (an Orange Crush) are courtesy of that Fellow over there.

Me and Friend: "thanks", wave, awkward.

She and I chat about how we haven't had a guy buy us a drink in years and didn't he see my wedding ring when I pointed out the garbage? We also spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out what was in the drink we had been given. A shot of mandarin vodka and cranberry juice plus something bubbly. Tastes a lot like a SweetTart to me. Turns out the juicy part is cranberry and Red Bull, as we learned after the Fellow comes back to chat. Nice guy, from D.C., works "for the House....of Representatives" (critique-if you are hitting on someone, assume they are bright enough to make the leap that when you say you work for the House in D.C. you are talking about the House of Representative and not the White House or a personal residence.)

As we are finishing up our meal, Fellow returns for a final bit of chit chat.

Fellow: How do you two know each other?
Friend: We know each other because of the kids.
Fellow: Oh, you've been friends since you were kids?

Me and my friend give each other a look and hold back a laugh.

Me: No. We know each other because our kids play together.
Fellow: crickets... Oh!

I headed to the restroom before we headed home and found my friend chatting with the Fellow and his table of friends. He was hanging out with his best friend and fiancee. The best friend was trying to get an honest critique of the the Fellow's technique, all the while the sweet fiancee is clearly embarrassed and keeps shaking her head.

BFF: So, on a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the Fellow's moves? Be honest.
Me: A 4.
My friend: That's what I said, too.
Me: I have to dock you a point because you gotta look for the rings.

It was a fun evening. LMAO. Even more fun because I had someone awesome to come home to and I'm relieved to not be a part of the dating scene anymore. I am flattered and I guess I'm looking youthful these days. These guys thought didn't think I could be thirty, let alone have kids and earlier this summer a client thought I was nineteen. Seriously?! I don't look nineteen and who wants to be that young? No independence, no income, no legal drinking, no thanks.

Love ya babe.

No comments: