Thursday, April 10, 2008

What's In a Name?

So, in reading other blogs, I find everyone has unique ways of referring to their significant others on such a public forum. Nicknames or initials or full names...decisions, decisions. My girls both have the same first initial "A". No, we didn't plan it that way, but it would get confusing if I didn't clarify (Big A or Little A). So I won't go that route. I could use full names. Their names are not so unique that using them would help creepy men track them down. I could use their middle names, but they rhyme and are names I've already given to their baby dolls (and, YES, we were aware that they rhymed, and NO, we didn't do it on purpose). But, in keeping with the culture of internet anonymity, I will use nicknames. I will refer to the little ladies as "The Princess" and "The Pixie". My husband shall get the honor of "The Prince".

The Princess is almost 5. Her designation is not without thought. She is selective in her food choices, despises getting messy, has hair that is straight and neat, and is generous with her affection. The Pixie is 2 and, while she's equally cuddly as the Princess, her approach to life is much zestier. The messier food, the tastier. Her hair is uncontrollably curly. And, while she is short on words, she is big at getting her point across. The Prince is the best. He is science fiction, I am scientist. He likes his office dark and dungeony, I like things bright and sunny. He is a storyteller, I am painfully brief. But we have the same approach to marriage and parenting. We love watching movies and pick apart television. We love each other for our quirks and keep each other sane.

All of this jibber jabber to say the Princess has bacterial pneumonia. The Pixie has had an equally lingering cough and congestion. She will get the once over from the NP this afternoon. Wish us luck.

No comments: