Sunday, June 01, 2008

Sleep, Please?

There has been little sleep in my recent past and it does not look like there will be much to be had for the 10 days or so. Friday night was my first OB clinical (1900-0330). I have to surprisingly admit I was bored out of my skin. I was really looking forward to this rotation, but a less than stellar preceptor (again) and learning that a majority of my time will be spent in the newborn nursery has made me start counting down the days until it's over. From a mom perspective, it was great to see so many healthy babies (overlooking the ones in withdrawal). But I felt more like a babysitter than a nurse. Change diapers, take temperatures, give bottles.... My preceptor didn't even explain all the stuff she was doing, but after observation I realized she wasn't doing anything I didn't already know how to do. I will try to jump in on a birth during Monday nights shift to try to salvage the experience.

My Friday all-nighter was followed by a Saturday all-nighter at my friend Becky's. Retro attire (and a few outfit changes courtesy of Becky's closet), dance music, summery drinks and good friends. It was a blast. Followed up by a morning of coffee, bagels and the "morning after movie" Footloose. I was shocked she had never seen the movie before. Dancing and 80's, what's not to like!? A fun time was had by all.

Autumn has a fever and super swollen lymph node, so I'll be juggling the little one while trying to do homework and rest before night clinical tomorrow. It's always going to be something.

We're off to ride bikes and use up some of that kid energy. If only I could siphon off a little; I'd be more awake and they'd sleep like a rock.

No comments: