Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Crazy Busy, but Oddly Relaxing

After a weekend of washing cars and playing endless hopscotch, it was back to the books today. I've already got my second exam tomorrow. Last week my teacher mentioned that prenatal exams did not improve outcomes. I found that suspicious and found a great article that looked at 10-freakin-million births. Turns out prenatal care does improve outcomes, although it's still debated exactly how many are required to decrease mortality (3 appointments are not enough, but the typical U.S. 14+ may be a tad excessive). Disappointingly, a lit review revealed my teacher was correct in stating bedrest does diddly-poo to help delay preterm birth. The risks of bedrest likely far outweigh the benefits, but it's currently the only hope.

On a fun note, I have clinical Friday night (hello babies!), then a kick-ass party Saturday at my friend Becky's. This definitely calls for some dancing shoes and a sleepover. Can't wait!

No comments: